vtiiger CRM 5 Beta Development Status

don-19
Hi,

The status of develpment for vtiger CRM 5 Beta is available in the attached 5betaplan.html
This document will give an insight on the features/fixes that we are currently working for vtiger CRM 5 beta.
Once all the features/fixes listed in the document is completed, we will be doing a full scale validation and all
the issues will be captured in http://vtiger.fosslabs.com. We will fix most of these issues based on severity and
then will go about in releasing the vtigerCRM 5 Beta.

Thanks & Regards,
Don

5betaplan.html (35K) Download Attachment

Re: vtiiger CRM 5 Beta Development Status

Allan Bush
Don,

That's very informative, thank you.

Going through that document I count ~100 days of work planned.  My
understanding is there are 4 or 5 core developers working pretty much
full time (am I right here?) so should we expect the beta release in
20-25 working days?

I'm not trying to nag it's just a question that comes up a lot and it
would be nice to have some kind of approximation to give.

> Hi,
>
> The status of develpment for vtiger CRM 5 Beta is
> available in the attached 5betaplan.html
> This document will give an insight on the
> features/fixes that we are currently
> working for vtiger CRM 5 beta.
> Once all the features/fixes listed in the document
> is completed, we will be doing a full
> scale validation and all
> the issues will be captured in http://vtiger.fosslabs.com. We will fix most
> of these issues based on severity and
> then will go about in releasing the vtigerCRM 5 Beta.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Don
> your To-Do's on bits of paper & palms of your hands? Try the AJAX enabled,
> personal organizer online, Zoho Planner for FREE instead!
> http://zohoplanner.com/?vt

vTiger CRM Develper Guide.

Josh Lee-2
Ok, this is getting silly, I am updating this thing way to often, I need
to put it in svn somewhere.
Fathi could you set this up for me?  Could you create a usename jlee and
email me a password using your svn repository for this thing?

Here is another updated version.

--
Josh Lee
Software Engineer

vTigerCRM Notes.odt (34K) Download Attachment
jlee.vcf (231 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: vtiiger CRM 5 Beta Development Status

Joel Rydbeck
Forgive my ignorance here, but I want to make certain that I understand vtiger CRM 5 platform requirements correctly as it goes to market (I realize right now these are requirements):

*
        PHP 5+
*
        MySQL 5.1+
*
        Apache 2+ (??)

...is there anything else?  I have not looked at the source code, but I'm curious how close it is to a PostgreSQL port.  I see there has been some commitment to supporting that down the road.

On another note, I drafted an integration document of sorts for 4.2 --if anyone is interested let me know.  The absence of an API made it a bit messier, but it is a good start to building modules.  We could throw it next to Josh's in SVN.

Regards,

- Joel

________________________________

Going through that document I count ~100 days of work planned.  My
understanding is there are 4 or 5 core developers working pretty much
full time (am I right here?) so should we expect the beta release in
20-25 working days?

I'm not trying to nag it's just a question that comes up a lot and it
would be nice to have some kind of approximation to give.

> Hi,
>
> The status of develpment for vtiger CRM 5 Beta is
> available in the attached 5betaplan.html
> This document will give an insight on the
> features/fixes that we are currently
> working for vtiger CRM 5 beta.
> Once all the features/fixes listed in the document
> is completed, we will be doing a full
> scale validation and all
> the issues will be captured in http://vtiger.fosslabs.com. We will fix most
> of these issues based on severity and
> then will go about in releasing the vtigerCRM 5 Beta.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Don
> your To-Do's on bits of paper & palms of your hands? Try the AJAX enabled,
> personal organizer online, Zoho Planner for FREE instead!
> http://zohoplanner.com/?vt

winmail.dat (8K) Download Attachment

Re: vtiger CRM 5 Beta Development Status

Jeff Kowalczyk
Joel Rydbeck wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance here, but I want to make certain that I understand
> vtiger CRM 5 platform requirements correctly as it goes to market (I
> realize right now these are requirements):
(...)
> I'm curious how close it is to a PostgreSQL port.  I see there has been
> some commitment to supporting that down the road.

I think it would be a huge mistake to promote vtigercrm-5.0.0 from alpha
beta status without merging postgresql support similar to that found in
vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration.

Postgresql support from the start is a serious requirement. AFAICT, the
decision for a user to deploy vtigercrm on either mysql or postgresql is
one-way and permanent, I don't think there are any migration tools being
offered here to reliably handle a conversion as complex as a fully
populated vtigercrm dataset.

We are keeping the diff on that branch to the minimum required changes for
postgresql support a) to ease merging back to vtigercrm/branches/4.2
immediately after vtigercrm/branches/vtigercrm-4.2.4, and b) to make it
easier for the vtiger dev team to merge the same changes into the trunk
ASAP.

svn diff
http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration
http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/4.2 (it's a long
diff, but consistent in its changes)

Re: vtiiger CRM 5 Beta Development Status

Josh Lee-2
I was unaware of PHP 5 requirements, as I am running vtiger5 on php4.

Joel Rydbeck wrote:

>Forgive my ignorance here, but I want to make certain that I understand vtiger CRM 5 platform requirements correctly as it goes to market (I realize right now these are requirements):
>
>*
> PHP 5+
>*
> MySQL 5.1+
>*
> Apache 2+ (??)
>
>...is there anything else?  I have not looked at the source code, but I'm curious how close it is to a PostgreSQL port.  I see there has been some commitment to supporting that down the road.
>
>On another note, I drafted an integration document of sorts for 4.2 --if anyone is interested let me know.  The absence of an API made it a bit messier, but it is a good start to building modules.  We could throw it next to Josh's in SVN.
>
>Regards,
>
>- Joel
>
>________________________________

Josh Lee
Software Engineer
Zertis Technologies, LLC
205.422.5279

jlee.vcf (231 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: vtiiger CRM 5 Beta Development Status

Sergio A. Kessler-2
I think postgresql is a must,
I just don't feel confident deploying a comercial mysql solution...

and I'm not talking about features,
I'm talking about legal status (without obtaining a comercial licence
from mysql, that's it)...

/sak

On 4/12/06, Joel Rydbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance here, but I want to make certain that I understand vtiger CRM 5 platform requirements correctly as it goes to market (I realize right now these are requirements):
>
> *
>         PHP 5+
> *
>         MySQL 5.1+
> *
>         Apache 2+ (??)
>
> ...is there anything else?  I have not looked at the source code, but I'm curious how close it is to a PostgreSQL port.  I see there has been some commitment to supporting that down the road.
>
> On another note, I drafted an integration document of sorts for 4.2 --if anyone is interested let me know.  The absence of an API made it a bit messier, but it is a good start to building modules.  We could throw it next to Josh's in SVN.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Joel
>
> ________________________________

:-/ Mysql "classic" is the version you get as a developer without paying
a license.  If you want a license you can get mysql pro.
http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/

Since vTigerCRM is open source, I believe vtiger falls into the GPL
License for mysql.   Either way, it is completely free and from my
understanding we don't need a license.

Sergio A. Kessler wrote:

>I think postgresql is a must,
>I just don't feel confident deploying a comercial mysql solution...
>
>and I'm not talking about features,
>I'm talking about legal status (without obtaining a comercial licence
>from mysql, that's it)...
>
>/sak
>
>On 4/12/06, Joel Rydbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Forgive my ignorance here, but I want to make certain that I understand vtiger CRM 5 platform requirements correctly as it goes to market (I realize right now these are requirements):
>>
>>*
>>        PHP 5+
>>*
>>        MySQL 5.1+
>>*
>>        Apache 2+ (??)
>>
>>...is there anything else?  I have not looked at the source code, but I'm curious how close it is to a PostgreSQL port.  I see there has been some commitment to supporting that down the road.
>>
>>On another note, I drafted an integration document of sorts for 4.2 --if anyone is interested let me know.  The absence of an API made it a bit messier, but it is a good start to building modules.  We could throw it next to Josh's in SVN.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>- Joel
>>
>>________________________________

Josh Lee
Software Engineer
Zertis Technologies, LLC
205.422.5279

jlee.vcf (231 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: vtiiger CRM 5 Beta Development Status

Sergio A. Kessler-2
yes, vtigerCrm is open source and the team or company behind it does
not need a mysql licence, that is clear.

but what happens when YOU start customizing it and deploy it to customers ?

"MySQL AB always recommends that proprietary (non-Free
Software/non-Open Source) use of MySQL be done with the commercial
non-GPL version of MySQL."

note the word "use"

/sak