Usability question again

Aïssa-2
Hi all,
what do you think about using "Skype ID" instead "Yahoo IM" ?
Skype seem to be more used than yahoo im no ? (a direct link "call to"
for 5.1 is a must ;-) )
(this translation change is already effective for frenchies)

Best regards,
Aïssa

Re: Usability question again

Luis Santos-2
Better yet..
N possible values with a Combo box with the protocol option (Skype, Yahoo, MSN Messeger, Jabber, Voip,....) and a field to the ID.

In the "view" mode the link would be build accordinf to the protocol selected...

just my 2cents
/Luis Santos

On 8/10/06, Aïssa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
what do you think about using "Skype ID" instead "Yahoo IM" ?
Skype seem to be more used than yahoo im no ? (a direct link "call to"
for 5.1 is a must ;-) )
(this translation change is already effective for frenchies)

Best regards,
Aïssa

Re: Usability question again

Matthew Brichacek
Good idea.. how about making it configurable on a per-user basis..
IE: in the user settings area you can choose between voip, skype, phoner
etc instead of having to choose @ each record.

Matt

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 15:47 +0100, Luis Santos wrote:

> Better yet..
> N possible values with a Combo box with the protocol option (Skype,
> Yahoo, MSN Messeger, Jabber, Voip,....) and a field to the ID.
>
> In the "view" mode the link would be build accordinf to the protocol
> selected...
>

> just my 2cents
> /Luis Santos
>

> On 8/10/06, Aïssa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi all,
>         what do you think about using "Skype ID" instead "Yahoo IM" ?
>         Skype seem to be more used than yahoo im no ? (a direct link
>         "call to"
>         for 5.1 is a must ;-) )
>         (this translation change is already effective for frenchies)
>
>         Best regards,
>         Aïssa
>         Get started with creating presentations online -
>         http://zohoshow.com?vt

> Get started with creating presentations online - http://zohoshow.com?vt

Re: Usability question again

Luis Santos-2
Well, my ideia was a bit different...

Every one of us has more than one mean of being reached
I personally have a msn account, google talk account and skype account.
If i'm using a CRM most possibly i want to be able to reach my customers\potencial customers in every possible way...
So i suggest having multiple possible options (0->N where N would be the number os possible options.

As an example see the MS Outlook contact screen...

again..just my 2 cents.. :)
/Luis

On 8/10/06, Matthew Brichacek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good idea.. how about making it configurable on a per-user basis..
IE: in the user settings area you can choose between voip, skype, phoner
etc instead of having to choose @ each record.

Matt

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 15:47 +0100, Luis Santos wrote:
> Better yet..
> N possible values with a Combo box with the protocol option (Skype,
> Yahoo, MSN Messeger, Jabber, Voip,....) and a field to the ID.

> In the "view" mode the link would be build accordinf to the protocol
> selected...
>

> just my 2cents
> /Luis Santos
>

> On 8/10/06, Aïssa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi all,
>         what do you think about using "Skype ID" instead "Yahoo IM" ?
>         Skype seem to be more used than yahoo im no ? (a direct link
>         "call to"
>         for 5.1 is a must ;-) )
>         (this translation change is already effective for frenchies)
>
>         Best regards,
>         Aïssa
>         _______________________________________________
>         Get started with creating presentations online -
>         <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://zohoshow.com/?vt" target="_blank">http://zohoshow.com?vt

> Get started with creating presentations online - <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://zohoshow.com/?vt" target="_blank">http://zohoshow.com?vt

Get started with creating presentations online - <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://zohoshow.com/?vt" target="_blank">http://zohoshow.com?vt

Re: Usability question again

Matthew Brichacek
I think I understand what you're saying... In some cases though, there
is only one way to contact a person, or in other cases a company may
only want you to contact customers a certain way (IE: via the office PBX
so calls can be recorded, etc).  Something flexible enough to handle
both scenarios would be nice.  Maybe a multi-select picklist in the user
settings that would allow a user to choose all the diff kinds of
communications they use (voip, skype, phoner, etc).  If the user selects
more than one means of communications, the picklist box you spoke of
earlier could be used... if they only have one type of communications
then a standard "click to dial" would be enabled on the phone record
itself.

I am getting ready to fire back up the asterisk integration project for
5.x and have spent some time trying to figure out a clean way to bring
in all the other click-to-dial work that was done in 4.x.

Matt

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 17:40 +0100, Luis Santos wrote:

> Well, my ideia was a bit different...
>
> Every one of us has more than one mean of being reached
> I personally have a msn account, google talk account and skype
> account.
> If i'm using a CRM most possibly i want to be able to reach my
> customers\potencial customers in every possible way...
> So i suggest having multiple possible options (0->N where N would be
> the number os possible options.
>
> As an example see the MS Outlook contact screen...
>
> again..just my 2 cents.. :)
> /Luis
>
> On 8/10/06, Matthew Brichacek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Good idea.. how about making it configurable on a per-user
>         basis..
>         IE: in the user settings area you can choose between voip,
>         skype, phoner
>         etc instead of having to choose @ each record.
>
>         Matt
>
>         On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 15:47 +0100, Luis Santos wrote:
>         > Better yet..
>         > N possible values with a Combo box with the protocol option
>         (Skype,
>         > Yahoo, MSN Messeger, Jabber, Voip,....) and a field to the
>         ID.
>         >
>         > In the "view" mode the link would be build accordinf to the
>         protocol
>         > selected...
>         >
>         >
>         > just my 2cents
>         > /Luis Santos
>         >
>         >
>         > On 8/10/06, Aïssa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         >         Hi all,
>         >         what do you think about using "Skype ID" instead
>         "Yahoo IM" ?
>         >         Skype seem to be more used than yahoo im no ? (a
>         direct link
>         >         "call to"
>         >         for 5.1 is a must ;-) )
>         >         (this translation change is already effective for
>         frenchies)
>         >
>         >         Best regards,
>         >         Aïssa
>         >         _______________________________________________
>         >         Get started with creating presentations online -
>         >         http://zohoshow.com?vt
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Get started with creating presentations online -
>         http://zohoshow.com?vt

>         Get started with creating presentations online -
>         http://zohoshow.com?vt

> Get started with creating presentations online - http://zohoshow.com?vt

Re: Usability question again

Luis Santos-2
Your argument is excelent, but i can see a little contradiction...
If the means of contact is as you say company policy, why would it be a user setting?
Wouldn't it be better to have it as a global setting?

> [...]

>         "Yahoo IM" ?
>         >         Skype seem to be more used than yahoo im no ? (a
>         direct link
>         >         "call to"
>         >         for 5.1 is a must ;-) )
>         >         (this translation change is already effective for
>         frenchies)
>         >
>         >         Best regards,
>         >         Aïssa
>         >         _______________________________________________
>         >         Get started with creating presentations online -
>         >         http://zohoshow.com?vt
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Get started with creating presentations online -
>         http://zohoshow.com?vt
>
>         _______________________________________________
>         Get started with creating presentations online -

I think you have to allow the user to adjust this.. one reason why is
because a setup like asterisk requires you to input an extension for
that particular user.
Maybe a global setting that allows the admin to choose what types of
communications are allowed?  This would allow global control over the
types of communications allowed, then each user can enable/config them
for use.
Instead of a picklist next to the number in the entity record... we
could use the same type of link popup that is used for "Locate Map".  So
if a user clicks on a phone number, a small popup that has links to
execute allowed communications will pop up.  Seems like a cleaner way to
do the interface.. but I suck @ UI stuff so someone may have a better
idea.

Matt