PHP Source Beautification

Jeff Kowalczyk
Has anyone used PHP source beautification tools with any success?

http://neurobashing.com/blog/archives/2005/03/24/phptidy_quest_continues.html

http://www.waterproof.fr/products/phpCodeBeautifier/

Assuming the right tool made PHP source beautification quick and reliable,
whether (and when) we should bulk-apply formatting standards to the
codebase is an open question.

The downside is that diffs and merges across that boundary of revision(s)
don't really have much use anymore.

If there was a branch of the source code that would never have
fixes and features back ported to it, then it would be a
possibility to do rapid, wholesale beautification.

To my way of thinking, the trunk, prior to branching for vtigercrm-5.0.0
release candidates, might fit this description, and would be the last
opportunity of this type for quite a while.

Any thoughts?

Re: PHP Source Beautification

Luis Santos-2
Absolutlly yes!
Code beautification is one step in the ight direction...

There are developers that simply give up on writing code to vtiger because there are portions  that are just unbearable :P

But as Jeff said this has to be a joint operation to minimize the risks and pitfalls  derived from the "beautification"..

/Luis

On 5/31/06, Jeff Kowalczyk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(resent after list returned)

Subject:      Re: PHP Source Beautification
From:         Jeff Kowalczyk <[hidden email]>
Newsgroups:   gmane.comp.web.vtigercrm.devel
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:42:58 -0400

Source beautification is suddenly a definite possibility, thanks to a PEAR
module my initial search missed:

http://pear.php.net/package/PHP_Beautifier/

Impression: it's pretty darn good.

I encourage general discussion (advisability, tips, community priority) in
this thread.

Implementation issues can be documented in the ticket:
http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/1820