Milestone vs. Version

Allan Bush
There seems to be a lot on confusion between milestone and version
when creating trac tickets.  I'm guessing this is a result of language
barriers.

Version is the latest version of the product the bug can be reproduced in.

Milestone is the version of the product the developers plan on fixing
the bug by.

I've cleaned up the milestones so that only valid ones appear (if
someone wants something further past 5.0.1 to push things too let me
know and I'll add another target).

The version list is still a mess though.  The only valid versions at
this point would be 5.0-rc, 5.0, 4.2.4 and 4.2.5.  Any bugs which can
not be found in one of these versions (with 5.0 and 4.2.5 being the
latest SVN code and the others being the latest releases) are not
valid bugs so no other versions need to exist.  Having a version of
5.0.1 in the list makes no sense at all because there is no 5.0.1
release or SVN branch at this point.

What needs to happen for this to be cleaned up is for the missing
versions to be added to the list.  Then all tickets with a version of
4.2.* should be set to 4.2.4 (some are probably 4.2.5, but that can to
taken care of later).  All open tickets with a version of 5.0.1 should
be set to a version of 5.0 and a milestone of 5.0.1, the closed ones
can just have their version set to 5.0.  After this the extraneous
version entries should be moved from the list.

I believe you need access to the trac-admin command line program to
make the version list alteration.  If someone could do the version
changes directly in the database that would be great, if not I'll
start doing them one by one through the web interface.

Allan

Re: Milestone vs. Version

Jeff Kowalczyk
Allan Bush wrote:
> There seems to be a lot on confusion between milestone and version when
> creating trac tickets.  I'm guessing this is a result of language
> barriers.

http://trac.edgewall.org/milestone/0.10

I really admire the way trac uses the component ticket field, and when
used properly, this really ties together what they are providing for trac
users with the milestone feature.

You can also see how the component view is less important for a released
version than an upcoming milestone, supporting Allan's description of the
difference.

Re: Milestone vs. Version

Allan Bush
I've cleaned up the version/milestone options and I've cleaned up most
of the 4.2 tickets.

There's a short list of 4.2 bugs I wasn't able to test against the 4.2
SVN code here: http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&version=4.2.3&order=priority
If someone could go through those and set those to the appropriate
status, version and milestones that would be most helpful.

There's also a long list of tickets with version 5.0.1
(http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&version=5.0.1&order=priority)
which should be adjusted.  I started on the list myself but it's too
long for one person to adjust manually.  If someone could set them all
to version 5.0 and milestone 5.0.1 directly in the database that would
be superber, or else maybe Richie could throw some man power at it.