Customizing vTiger to do extra cool stuff

Customizing vTiger to do extra cool stuff

David Bain
I'm new to vTiger so forgive me if my expectations are too high. I plan to dedicate 5 days solely to vTiger, I have significant php and mysql experience, though I've been mostly coding in python for the last 2 years. I would like to accomplish the following:

  • be able to transfer/assign tasks to appropriate persons csr/manager based on type of action, possibly categorized by authorization level
    use case: customer calls the help desk and wants their thingy ma jig to be able to send messages to hong kong, this requires a manager to authorize this. The customer rep creates a "request" in vtiger for "send message to hongkong ability" this automatically assigned to a manager since a normal customer rep cannot accomplish this task.
  • master screen where a manager can see outstanding items and required completion time
    use case: a manager logs in and goes to their master screen. It shows them outstanding tasks with a live countdown to when it will become overdue, overdue tasks are highlighted in a different color.
  • ability to assess csr performance based on time task is completed
    use case: a manager goes to an area in vtiger which allows them to see how many calls were fielded by customer rep x and how quickly issues were resolved based on predetermined completion times
  • call type differentiation - should be able to show a report of the number of calls grouped by type (10 balance requests, 15 signups.)
  • talk to an external webservice via SOAP, should be possible to pull additional customer data stored on a different server and then store that data locally in the vTiger database.
    use case: customer transaction history for web purchases are stored on an external website. vTiger works with an hourly cronjob to update itself with the latest purchase history of customers (e.g. items purchased and the time of purchase and failed purchases)
I'm especially interested in how much of this can already be accomplished in vTiger and whether the balance can realistically be accomplished in 5 dedicated days (i.e. 40 programmer hours and lots of posts to the mailing list/discussion boards etc..)

Re: Customizing vTiger to do extra cool stuff

Sergio A. Kessler-2
I don't think you can do that only in 5 days, but be my guest  ;-)

just a minor note: for web services, avoid SOAP like the plague (it
will eat your 40 hours before you wake up), use REST instead if you
can...

/sak

On 4/7/06, david bain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm new to vTiger so forgive me if my expectations are too high. I plan to
> dedicate 5 days solely to vTiger, I have significant php and mysql
> experience, though I've been mostly coding in python for the last 2 years. I
> would like to accomplish the following:
>

> be able to transfer/assign tasks to appropriate persons csr/manager based on
> type of action, possibly categorized by authorization level
>  use case: customer calls the help desk and wants their thingy ma jig to be
> able to send messages to hong kong, this requires a manager to authorize
> this. The customer rep creates a "request" in vtiger for "send message to
> hongkong ability" this automatically assigned to a manager since a normal
> customer rep cannot accomplish this task.
>
> master screen where a manager can see outstanding items and required
> completion time
>  use case: a manager logs in and goes to their master screen. It shows them
> outstanding tasks with a live countdown to when it will become overdue,
> overdue tasks are highlighted in a different color.
>
> ability to assess csr performance based on time task is completed
>  use case: a manager goes to an area in vtiger which allows them to see how
> many calls were fielded by customer rep x and how quickly issues were
> resolved based on predetermined completion times
>
> call type differentiation - should be able to show a report of the number of
> calls grouped by type (10 balance requests, 15 signups.)
> talk to an external webservice via SOAP, should be possible to pull
> additional customer data stored on a different server and then store that
> data locally in the vTiger database.
>  use case: customer transaction history for web purchases are stored on an
> external website. vTiger works with an hourly cronjob to update itself with
> the latest purchase history of customers (e.g. items purchased and the time
> of purchase and failed purchases) I'm especially interested in how much of
> this can already be accomplished in vTiger and whether the balance can
> realistically be accomplished in 5 dedicated days (i.e. 40 programmer hours
> and lots of posts to the mailing list/discussion boards etc..)

> your To-Do's on bits of paper & palms of your hands? Try the AJAX enabled,
> personal organizer online, Zoho Planner for FREE instead!
> http://zohoplanner.com/?vt

Re: Customizing vTiger to do extra cool stuff

David Bain-5
Is that a general comment about SOAP or is it related to php and SOAP? Bear in mind that it would be vtiger acting as a SOAP client. The provider of the webservice is running a .net platform, I'm not well informed about how easily they could roll out a REST based solution.

How much of the stuff is already there in vtiger?
If 5 days (40 hours) is too little.
What is a more realistic estimate?

On 4/7/06, Sergio A. Kessler <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think you can do that only in 5 days, but be my guest  ;-)

just a minor note: for web services, avoid SOAP like the plague (it
will eat your 40 hours before you wake up), use REST instead if you
can...

/sak

On 4/7/06, david bain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm new to vTiger so forgive me if my expectations are too high. I plan to
> dedicate 5 days solely to vTiger, I have significant php and mysql
> experience, though I've been mostly coding in python for the last 2 years. I
> would like to accomplish the following:
>

> be able to transfer/assign tasks to appropriate persons csr/manager based on
> type of action, possibly categorized by authorization level
>  use case: customer calls the help desk and wants their thingy ma jig to be
> able to send messages to hong kong, this requires a manager to authorize
> this. The customer rep creates a "request" in vtiger for "send message to
> hongkong ability" this automatically assigned to a manager since a normal
> customer rep cannot accomplish this task.
>
> master screen where a manager can see outstanding items and required
> completion time
>  use case: a manager logs in and goes to their master screen. It shows them
> outstanding tasks with a live countdown to when it will become overdue,
> overdue tasks are highlighted in a different color.
>
> ability to assess csr performance based on time task is completed
>  use case: a manager goes to an area in vtiger which allows them to see how
> many calls were fielded by customer rep x and how quickly issues were
> resolved based on predetermined completion times
>

> call type differentiation - should be able to show a report of the number of
> calls grouped by type (10 balance requests, 15 signups.)
> talk to an external webservice via SOAP, should be possible to pull
> additional customer data stored on a different server and then store that
> data locally in the vTiger database.
>  use case: customer transaction history for web purchases are stored on an
> external website. vTiger works with an hourly cronjob to update itself with
> the latest purchase history of customers (e.g. items purchased and the time
> of purchase and failed purchases) I'm especially interested in how much of
> this can already be accomplished in vTiger and whether the balance can
> realistically be accomplished in 5 dedicated days (i.e. 40 programmer hours
> and lots of posts to the mailing list/discussion boards etc..)

> your To-Do's on bits of paper & palms of your hands? Try the AJAX enabled,
> personal organizer online, Zoho Planner for FREE instead!
> http://zohoplanner.com/?vt

Re: Customizing vTiger to do extra cool stuff

Sergio A. Kessler-2
a general comment about SOAP (I couldn't resist).

REST is orders of magnitude more simple (debugging is trivial), and
you only need a xml parser and support for http calls, and I bet that
.net has that.