4.2 Postgres - Testers needed

Allan Bush
Alright I've checked the postgres patch into SVN, tweaked the
installation process and fixed some errors which were quite apparent,
now I need some extra eyes to help me find other bugs.

If you want to help you'll need to check the postgres branch code out of SVN:

svn co http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/4.2_postgresql_integration

then run through the installation process exactly like you would for a
mysql installation.  If you have both mysql and pgsql support in your
php module then you'll have to select which you wish to use, if not it
should be done for you automatically.  Make sure to select the correct
port for you database host it's probably localhost:5432 for most
setups.

In the default setup I've tweaked adodb to output to the browser any
database errors encountered along with a backtrace of how the query
was called.  Because of this you'll notice a bunch of output about
missing sequences during the table population process of the
installation, these errors can be safely ignored as adodb
automatically corrects them.

What is needed is for testers to play around with this and find more
database errors.  If you encounter a problem the adodb debugging
routine should output an error message to your browser page.  Simply
copy the error message (including the query and the backtrace) and
file a bug added a short description of what you were trying to do at
the time.  I'm not sure what the best way to track these bugs is,
ideally each one would be filed as a ticket in trac which blocks
ticket #17, but I don't think trac supports meta bugs.

Unfortunately I'm leaving town today and will be unavailable until
Saturday but if people can help collect bug reports I'll get them
fixed next weekend or some other developer may be able to fix some of
them during the week.

Thanks for all your help,
Allan

Re: 4.2 Postgres - Testers needed

Jeff Kowalczyk
Allan Bush wrote:
> Alright I've checked the postgres patch into SVN, tweaked the
> installation process and fixed some errors which were quite apparent,
> now I need some extra eyes to help me find other bugs.

Allan, thanks very much for committing your changes. I had run through an
install with the sample dataset shortly after your commit, and haven't
noticed any functional defects yet. Congratulations on a very successful
contribution. Postgresql compatibility is a tremendous addition to vtiger.

I highly encourage others to test this branch (if you're interested in
postgresql).

Re: 4.2 Postgres - Testers needed

Mike Fedyk
Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> Allan Bush wrote:
>
>> Alright I've checked the postgres patch into SVN, tweaked the
>> installation process and fixed some errors which were quite apparent,
>> now I need some extra eyes to help me find other bugs.
>>

> Allan, thanks very much for committing your changes. I had run through an
> install with the sample dataset shortly after your commit, and haven't
> noticed any functional defects yet. Congratulations on a very successful
> contribution. Postgresql compatibility is a tremendous addition to vtiger.
>
> I highly encourage others to test this branch (if you're interested in
> postgresql).
Or for mysql regressions, which I will be doing when I get a chance.

Mike

Re: 4.2 Postgres - Testers needed

Allan Bush
Is anyone out there testing this?

I've run all my tests and don't see any other problems with postgres
and I've given it a quick run through with mysql (again without
problems).

I'm sure there are still a few issues which could be found with more
eyes, but I'd say the changes are ready to be merged back into the
trunk as soon as 4.2.4 is created (any eta on this?).

It may be beneficial to leave the adodb debugging information in (see
ticket #69) until we get closer to the next release (4.2.5) as I find
it to be a huge help in tracking down (database) problems.

On 3/21/06, Mike Fedyk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> > Allan Bush wrote:
> >
> >> Alright I've checked the postgres patch into SVN, tweaked the
> >> installation process and fixed some errors which were quite apparent,
> >> now I need some extra eyes to help me find other bugs.
> >>

> > Allan, thanks very much for committing your changes. I had run through an
> > install with the sample dataset shortly after your commit, and haven't
> > noticed any functional defects yet. Congratulations on a very successful
> > contribution. Postgresql compatibility is a tremendous addition to vtiger.
> >
> > I highly encourage others to test this branch (if you're interested in
> > postgresql).
> Or for mysql regressions, which I will be doing when I get a chance.
>
> Mike

Re: 4.2 Postgres - Testers needed

Abos
Hi allan,
i'm testing with postgre 8.1.
for the moment, i have only (lots) errors messages during install, but
all is working during use, table are correctly created...
I continue the test.
Cheer,
Aïssa