4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Mike Fedyk
Just tried creating a database with the latest 4.2 branch as of rev 3889
and all tables are created as MyISAM tables (the ones that don't support
FK constraints and all those nice DB features).

I'm going to have to do this install with 4.2.3 for now...  Will look at
it in a bit.

Mike
This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Mike Fedyk
It's in this changeset:
http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/changeset/3796

Still investigating...

Mike

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Mike Fedyk
Wrong link...

http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/changeset/3786

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Mike Fedyk
Ok, we have a modified adodb in vtiger 4.2.3.

It allows you to specify <opt>Type=InnoDB</opt> in the XML file. And
updating adodb breaks that.

We're either going to have to revert or port the changes. What does
everyone think?

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Wrong link...
>
> http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/changeset/3786
>
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
>> It's in this changeset:
>> http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/changeset/3796
>>
>> Still investigating...
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>>
>>> Just tried creating a database with the latest 4.2 branch as of rev
>>> 3889 and all tables are created as MyISAM tables (the ones that
>>> don't support FK constraints and all those nice DB features).
>>>
>>> I'm going to have to do this install with 4.2.3 for now... Will look
>>> at it in a bit.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX
>>> enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer
>>> for FREE instead!
>>> http://zohowriter.com/?vt

This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Jeff Kowalczyk
Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Ok, we have a modified adodb in vtiger 4.2.3.

I sympathize for any breakage that might result from my adodb updates, and
have tried to make them single-commit to ease reverts if needed.

My goal has been to find out to where vtigercrm deviates from production
adodb (currently adodb-4.72) and reduce the question of bundling vs
external dependency to a minimum diff needed to run.

> It allows you to specify <opt>Type=InnoDB</opt> in the XML file. And
> updating adodb breaks that.

Is the use of InnoDB storage necessary for mysql operation, or was it just
a performance-seeking choice?

Since being acquired by Oracle, InnoDB's availability for future
open-source mysql versions is in some question. I would view any InnoDB
dependency as a bug. Especially if it were only an incremental performance
motivation.

What does that <opt> information do to postgresql and other backend
compatibility? Since the team was focused only on mysql, the custom <opt>
may be totally in opposition to our cross-database objectives.

> We're either going to have to revert or port the changes. What does
> everyone think?

I think we're going to find that few distros will consider vtigercrm as
having met their packaging standards if we have a bundled adodb
that can't be removed in favor of a system-packaged version during
packaging.

If we stay on that route, it must be a well-considered decision to take on
the responsibility of shipping a private copy of a database library. Any
adodb security issues that linger unpatched will reflect poorly on
vtigercrm.

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

>Mike Fedyk wrote:
>

>>Ok, we have a modified adodb in vtiger 4.2.3.
>>

>I sympathize for any breakage that might result from my adodb updates, and
>have tried to make them single-commit to ease reverts if needed.
>
>My goal has been to find out to where vtigercrm deviates from production
>adodb (currently adodb-4.72) and reduce the question of bundling vs
>external dependency to a minimum diff needed to run.
>

>>It allows you to specify <opt>Type=InnoDB</opt> in the XML file. And
>>updating adodb breaks that.
>>

>Is the use of InnoDB storage necessary for mysql operation, or was it just
>a performance-seeking choice?

Do you want transactions?
Do you want versioned updates like in postgres?
Do you want journaled writes?
Do you want foreign key constraints?

Yes we need InnoDB with mysql.

>Since being acquired by Oracle, InnoDB's availability for future
>open-source mysql versions is in some question. I would view any InnoDB
>dependency as a bug. Especially if it were only an incremental performance
>motivation.

InnoDB is released under the GPL.  I see the news of Oracle buying
InnoDB as only a concern for mysql the company when it sells InnoDB
under non-GPL licenses.

In fact, as far as licenses are concerned, Postgres is more vulnerable
to being bought by a commercial company than Mysql/InnoDB.  At least
with the GPL you know they can't make a non-public fork and distribute
it without also distributing the code.

Postgres may blow Mysql away in feature support, but vulnerability to
being bought out is not one of Mysql's weak points.  Next.

>What does that <opt> information do to postgresql and other backend
>compatibility? Since the team was focused only on mysql, the custom <opt>
>may be totally in opposition to our cross-database objectives.

I have no idea.  I think we should ask for input from the adodb developers.

>>We're either going to have to revert or port the changes. What does
>>everyone think?
>>

>I think we're going to find that few distros will consider vtigercrm as
>having met their packaging standards if we have a bundled adodb
>that can't be removed in favor of a system-packaged version during
>packaging.
>
>If we stay on that route, it must be a well-considered decision to take on
>the responsibility of shipping a private copy of a database library. Any
>adodb security issues that linger unpatched will reflect poorly on
>vtigercrm.

We're already in that boat.  I can see updating adodb once it doesn't
break our current setup as a long term goal for 4.2, but we may have to
revert to the previous version for this release.

I'm going to try porting the <opt> changes to the latest adodb, but if
we can't get this working before rc1 comes out (that's 1 day folks) it's
going to have to be reverted.

Any help on the porting would be appreciated.

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Mike Fedyk wrote:
>>Is the use of InnoDB storage necessary for mysql operation, or was it just
>>a performance-seeking choice?
>
> Do you want transactions?
> Do you want versioned updates like in postgres?
> Do you want journaled writes?
> Do you want foreign key constraints?
>
> Yes we need InnoDB with mysql.

Eep. I didn't know mysql was still lacking all of those features (foreign
key?!?) without InnoDB.

Doesn't adodb have some way to choose the right storage for each backend
based on the schema items (as opposed to backend specific options, custom
or supported)?

Incidentally, did this manifest after using adodb schemagen functionality
enabled with recent changeset 3914:3915? I did a fresh install of
vtigercrm/branches/4.2 recently (well after the update to adodb-4.71), and
didn't have any readily apparent trouble.

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

>Mike Fedyk wrote:
>

>>>Is the use of InnoDB storage necessary for mysql operation, or was it just
>>>a performance-seeking choice?
>>>

>>Do you want transactions?
>>Do you want versioned updates like in postgres?
>>Do you want journaled writes?
>>Do you want foreign key constraints?
>>
>>Yes we need InnoDB with mysql.
>>

>Eep. I didn't know mysql was still lacking all of those features (foreign
>key?!?) without InnoDB.
>
>Doesn't adodb have some way to choose the right storage for each backend
>based on the schema items (as opposed to backend specific options, custom
>or supported)?

Not that I can tell.  There is an alternate format that doesn't use XML,
but you have to build it much like code and it doesn't auto-generate
from what I can see.

>Incidentally, did this manifest after using adodb schemagen functionality
>enabled with recent changeset 3914:3915? I did a fresh install of
>vtigercrm/branches/4.2 recently (well after the update to adodb-4.71), and
>didn't have any readily apparent trouble.

Run this sql on one of your tables:

SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'leaddetails'

If you see type: myisam instead of type: innodb, you have just confirmed
the problem.  I asked Matt to try also with the same result.

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Run this sql on one of your tables:
>
> SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'leaddetails'
>
> If you see type: myisam instead of type: innodb, you have just confirmed
> the problem.  I asked Matt to try also with the same result.
>
> Mike

Confirming:

Output from SQL command SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'leaddetails' ..

Name ,Engine ,Version ,Row_format ,Rows ,Avg_row_length ,Data_length
,Max_data_length ,Index_length ,Data_free ,Auto_increment ,Create_time
,Update_time ,Check_time ,Collation ,Checksum ,Create_options ,Comment

leaddetails ,MyISAM ,10 ,Dynamic ,10 ,134 ,1340 ,281474976710655 ,3072 ,0
, ,2006-02-20 22:37:58 ,2006-02-20 22:38:12 ,2006-02-20 22:37:58
,utf8_general_ci , , ,

  --
  -- Table structure for table `leaddetails`
  --

  DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `leaddetails`;
  CREATE TABLE `leaddetails` (
  `leadid` int(19) NOT NULL,
  `email` varchar(100) default NULL,
  `interest` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `firstname` varchar(40) default NULL,
  `salutation` varchar(10) default NULL,
  `lastname` varchar(80) NOT NULL,
  `company` varchar(100) NOT NULL,
  `annualrevenue` int(19) default '0',
  `industry` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `campaign` varchar(30) default NULL,
  `rating` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `leadstatus` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `leadsource` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `converted` int(1) default '0',
  `designation` varchar(50) default 'SalesMan',
  `licencekeystatus` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `space` varchar(250) default NULL,
  `comments` text,
  `priority` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `demorequest` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `partnercontact` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `productversion` varchar(20) default NULL,
  `product` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `maildate` date default NULL,
  `nextstepdate` date default NULL,
  `fundingsituation` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `purpose` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `evaluationstatus` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `transferdate` date default NULL,
  `revenuetype` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `noofemployees` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `yahooid` varchar(100) default NULL,
  `assignleadchk` int(1) default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`leadid`),
  KEY `converted` (`converted`,`leadstatus`)
  ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Sergio A. Kessler-2
On 2/23/06, Mike Fedyk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
>
> >Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >

> >>Ok, we have a modified adodb in vtiger 4.2.3.
> >>

> >I sympathize for any breakage that might result from my adodb updates, and
> >have tried to make them single-commit to ease reverts if needed.
> >
> >My goal has been to find out to where vtigercrm deviates from production
> >adodb (currently adodb-4.72) and reduce the question of bundling vs
> >external dependency to a minimum diff needed to run.
> >

> >>It allows you to specify <opt>Type=InnoDB</opt> in the XML file. And
> >>updating adodb breaks that.
> >>

> >Is the use of InnoDB storage necessary for mysql operation, or was it just
> >a performance-seeking choice?
> >

> Do you want transactions?
> Do you want versioned updates like in postgres?
> Do you want journaled writes?
> Do you want foreign key constraints?

he, if I really want this, I just may use postgresql  :-)

IMO depending on a very specific table type in mysql is a bug.
even more when that specific table type is already planned to go
deprecated in future versions
(mysql AB has already hired people to develop the own storage engine
with transaction support, now that InnoDB pertain to oracle)

> In fact, as far as licenses are concerned, Postgres is more vulnerable
> to being bought by a commercial company than Mysql/InnoDB.  At least
> with the GPL you know they can't make a non-public fork and distribute
> it without also distributing the code.

two gross errors here:

1) you can't buy postgresql, postgresql is a project, not a company.

2) if a company buys Mysql AB, they CAN fork a non-public version
without the need for ditributing the code, because mysql is DUAL
licensed (GPL and a normal comercial licence), and Mysql AB has all
the copyrigths.
(altough the old GPL version must remain in public, and could be
mantained by the community)

and when you own the copyrigths you can change the licence of future
versions all the times you want (you can't change old released
versions).
(have you never seen GPL projects that went propietary ?)

> Postgres may blow Mysql away in feature support, but vulnerability to
> being bought out is not one of Mysql's weak points.  Next.

yes, it is.
it is worth discussing it ?, or should the vtiger project be worried
about this ? I don't think so.

/sak

This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Luis Alberto Arenas Salinas
SOME BODY KNOW WHERE IS DIFINED THE "USERS_TABLE" CONSTANT?
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Mike Fedyk
I have added this post in the adodb forum (they don't seem to use the
mailing list much).

http://phplens.com/lens/lensforum/msgs.php?id=14708

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Sergio A. Kessler wrote:

>On 2/23/06, Mike Fedyk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
>>

>>>Is the use of InnoDB storage necessary for mysql operation, or was it just
>>>a performance-seeking choice?
>>>

>>Do you want transactions?
>>Do you want versioned updates like in postgres?
>>Do you want journaled writes?
>>Do you want foreign key constraints?
>>

>he, if I really want this, I just may use postgresql  :-)
>
>IMO depending on a very specific table type in mysql is a bug.
>even more when that specific table type is already planned to go
>deprecated in future versions
>(mysql AB has already hired people to develop the own storage engine
>with transaction support, now that InnoDB pertain to oracle)

We're not even supporting Mysql 5.0 right now.  Once InnoDB becomes
depreciated, we'll walk through that door when we get to it.

>>In fact, as far as licenses are concerned, Postgres is more vulnerable
>>to being bought by a commercial company than Mysql/InnoDB.  At least
>>with the GPL you know they can't make a non-public fork and distribute
>>it without also distributing the code.
>>

>two gross errors here:
>
>1) you can't buy postgresql, postgresql is a project, not a company.

Right, but you can make a proprietary fork at any time.  You don't need
to buy it in that case.

>2) if a company buys Mysql AB, they CAN fork a non-public version
>without the need for ditributing the code, because mysql is DUAL
>licensed (GPL and a normal comercial licence), and Mysql AB has all
>the copyrigths.
>(altough the old GPL version must remain in public, and could be
>mantained by the community)
>
>and when you own the copyrigths you can change the licence of future
>versions all the times you want (you can't change old released
>versions).
>(have you never seen GPL projects that went propietary ?)

At least they would have to put out the cash to buy Mysql AB instead of
just forking a proprietary copy at any time.

>>Postgres may blow Mysql away in feature support, but vulnerability to
>>being bought out is not one of Mysql's weak points.  Next.
>>

>yes, it is.
>it is worth discussing it ?, or should the vtiger project be worried
>about this ? I don't think so.

It takes more effort to take a GPL project and make it proprietary.
That is my point.  A community can support code released before being
made proprietary with copyleft and non-copyleft licenses alike.

I just like how the GPL makes that harder to turn code proprietary after
it has been released in the open.

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> We're not even supporting Mysql 5.0 right now.  Once InnoDB becomes
> depreciated, we'll walk through that door when we get to it.

I'm running mysql-5.0.18. Maybe that could explain why it is at first
glance functional even with the MyISAM table type? Did they improve those
table features in the 5.0 version?

Please don't count this a request for mysql-5 support from me, I'm just
counting the days until I can run vtigercrm on postgresql.

This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

fboudra (Bugzilla)
Le Samedi 25 Février 2006 14:56, Jeff Kowalczyk a écrit :

> Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > We're not even supporting Mysql 5.0 right now.  Once InnoDB becomes
> > depreciated, we'll walk through that door when we get to it.
>
> I'm running mysql-5.0.18. Maybe that could explain why it is at first
> glance functional even with the MyISAM table type? Did they improve those
> table features in the 5.0 version?
>
> Please don't count this a request for mysql-5 support from me, I'm just
> counting the days until I can run vtigercrm on postgresql.

not really topic related but debian/ubuntu package and probably other distro
too, use mysql 5.x as default mysql server version.

debian and ubuntu package depends currently on mysql-server, so on 5.0.18.
For "vtigercrm addon for xampp" project, current xampp version use also
5.0.18.

fully mysql-5 support will be really appreciated ;)

This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Accepting patches for MySQL 5 support (was: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM)

Mike Fedyk
Fathi BOUDRA wrote:

>Le Samedi 25 Février 2006 14:56, Jeff Kowalczyk a écrit :
>

>>Mike Fedyk wrote:
>>

>>>We're not even supporting Mysql 5.0 right now.  Once InnoDB becomes
>>>depreciated, we'll walk through that door when we get to it.
>>>

>>I'm running mysql-5.0.18. Maybe that could explain why it is at first
>>glance functional even with the MyISAM table type? Did they improve those
>>table features in the 5.0 version?
>>
>>Please don't count this a request for mysql-5 support from me, I'm just
>>counting the days until I can run vtigercrm on postgresql.
>>

>not really topic related but debian/ubuntu package and probably other distro
>too, use mysql 5.x as default mysql server version.
>
>debian and ubuntu package depends currently on mysql-server, so on 5.0.18.
>For "vtigercrm addon for xampp" project, current xampp version use also
>5.0.18.

I use mysql 4.0.24-10sarge1 and php 4.3.10-16 for development.  I'll
test any mysql 5 support patches against mysql 4.0 and php4.3 so we can
make sure our minimum version is supported.  If it passes that and the
patch looks good, it can't be any worse for the 5.0 users than the
current situation.

We need to have at least one developer stick with mysql 4.0.

I'll post a message in the forum asking for mysql 5 support patches
after 4.2.4 releases if everyone agrees.

Mike
This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: Accepting patches for MySQL 5 support (was: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM)

fboudra (Bugzilla)
> I use mysql 4.0.24-10sarge1 and php 4.3.10-16 for development.  I'll
> test any mysql 5 support patches against mysql 4.0 and php4.3 so we can
> make sure our minimum version is supported.  If it passes that and the
> patch looks good, it can't be any worse for the 5.0 users than the
> current situation.
>
> We need to have at least one developer stick with mysql 4.0.
>
> I'll post a message in the forum asking for mysql 5 support patches
> after 4.2.4 releases if everyone agrees.
>
> Mike

sure, i agree :)
This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: Accepting patches for MySQL 5 support (some help needed)

Michel JACQUEMES
I agree with both of you on mysql 5 support, but I need some help on
database schema regarding expected results on numeric fields.

You could first have a look to the following page, incompatibility on
decimal data :

(was: 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM)

> I use mysql 4.0.24-10sarge1 and php 4.3.10-16 for development.  I'll
> test any mysql 5 support patches against mysql 4.0 and php4.3 so we can
> make sure our minimum version is supported.  If it passes that and the
> patch looks good, it can't be any worse for the 5.0 users than the
> current situation.
>
> We need to have at least one developer stick with mysql 4.0.
>
> I'll post a message in the forum asking for mysql 5 support patches
> after 4.2.4 releases if everyone agrees.
>
> Mike

sure, i agree :)
desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled,
collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

This vtiger.com email is sponsored by: Zoho Writer. Are you still using your desktop word processor for typing documents? Try the AJAX enabled, collaboration-friendly online word processor, Zoho Writer for FREE instead!
http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: some help needed (was: Accepting patches for MySQL 5 support)

Mike Fedyk
What page?

http://zohowriter.com/?vt

Re: Accepting patches for MySQL 5 support (some help needed)

Michel JACQUEMES

Sorry, preceding message is incomplete.

I agree with both of you on mysql 5 support, but I need some help on database schema regarding expected results on numeric fields.

You could first have a look to the following page, incompatibility on decimal data :

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html

What I mean is that I cannot understand which format is expected in DatabaseSchema.xml. Example in table potstagehistory :

            <field name="probability" type="N" size="2.3"></field>

XMLSchema produce probability DECIMAL(4.3) which means a maximum value of 9.999

It produces a query error with mssql, that's how I found it.

If you use :

            <field name="probability" type="N" size="5.3"></field>

Which is, I think, the right value, the result is correct : DECIMAL(5.3).

The question is, what is the value expected by vtiger?

If I am right, this patch is easy to apply but not easy to define, all the numeric fields in database are concerned. It refers to both versions, 4.2 & 5.0.

> I use mysql 4.0.24-10sarge1 and php 4.3.10-16 for development.  I'll

> test any mysql 5 support patches against mysql 4.0 and php4.3 so we can

> make sure our minimum version is supported.  If it passes that and the

> patch looks good, it can't be any worse for the 5.0 users than the

> current situation.

> We need to have at least one developer stick with mysql 4.0.

> I'll post a message in the forum asking for mysql 5 support patches

> after 4.2.4 releases if everyone agrees.

> Mike

sure, i agree :)